Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Aussie Panel Van

WOW. I can remember droooooooling over my brothers "Van Wheels" magazines back in my childhood. In Australia the Panel Van scene in the late seventies was great. V8, Airbrushed Murals, Usually naked ladies, mirrored ceiling interiors with beds great for "Shagin!"


My older brother ended up with an XB GS 6 cylinder, with American Racing 5 Slot rims not unlike this pic below but he maintained the light blue hood. The rear was vinyl and velour. I really loved my brother's Awesome van!

Around that time I went to many Van Shows (see photo page) and there were some amazing rides. Ford Australia built a very special one with the same front as the Mad Max interceptor.
This history page is great and showcases all.

My father also had two Holden "Belmont" Panel vans he used for work. I later drove his mini Gemini and Corolla Vans a lot. I really wanted to tune the Gemini. So we started with engine. 1.6->1.8 and the rear became red velour. We added a front air dam, but thats about as far as it got. I then got my own Gemini Coupe and started tuning. (another post)

I'm remembering where all my tuning influences came from.

Russ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have something to add.

Add it here....

Russ.