Monday, August 24, 2009

Tarmac Rallies in 1995


In 1995 I was really into Rally. Sainz, Makinen, Auriol, McRae and others. I was dreaming of a thumping rally car. All my friends were into rally and I had some friends that were good drivers. I had upgraded from thrashing my Dato and Celica in the forests of Canberra. But the hunger led me to a 4wd purchase.

Around this time the tarmac rally cars were pretty close to the road going counterparts looks wise. Dumped on (huge at the time) 17inch rims, they looked amazing with some having more aero than others.

Corsica saw the debut of the Evo III. WOW!
Part 1
Part 2


I absolutely WANTED a JDM spec Evo III. But in Australia we only had the 1.8 GSR.
After many test drives there was No match to the WRX out of the box and the new ST205 Celica was $75K! and untouchable.
So there it was, a WHITE 1994 WRX sedan. Power, Grip Grip Grip and then some. Too fast for the street really especially after tuning. It was an animal.
These for me were the highlight of Rally. Road going cars turned into race cars then lots of tech returned to the end user.

Cataluña was refinement

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have something to add.

Add it here....

Russ.