Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lost in Translation



This post was meant to be about Karaoke.(which I love) But I guess I'll change it totally.

Bill Murray's film of a few years ago is "Lost in Translation" a famous guy comes to Japan - Tokyo and gets taken to all kinds of places to promote Suntory whiskey or whisky (recently votes worlds best). Some places I've been to and some I haven't.

As a foreigner living in Japan this movie has some hype and reality around it. Those people who hate living here will love this movie and those who love living in Japan will dispise it as a negatively slanted view of proceedings.

I have a mixed bag about it.

You can live in Japan and never experience any of this stuff, or all of it. It's a bit of a documentary style movie and therefore bores me to tears. Its slow... hard to watch and sometimes just stupid. But for the content I was quite interested. I used to work very close to where it was mostly shot. "Shinjuku".  A few scenes from other places near there "Shibuya" etc, but mainly around the Shinjuku area. This is not a temple tour of a movie, but a city image that some people get hooked up in.

I've read many reviews of this movie and as a movie its ok. Two people become friends and probably want more. But as most people do, they try to bring a broader meaning to the movie that maybe this is what happens to boring people in Japan. FORGET IT! IT's A MOVIE!

Come to Tokyo and see for yourself. Like Bill, you will uncover something in your life.

But it's probably not going to be... "I get 2 million dollars to promote a product in a foreign country and confused in the process, because I can't communicate in their language, So I'll find some things to do to occupy my time."

Trailer

Russ.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have something to add.

Add it here....

Russ.